Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Here it Goes

Upon research on my indy media paper topic, KPFK radio, I decided that I'd jot down my thoughts here. 

I've reading up a lot on KPFK and consequently, KPFA and Pacifica. Its been hard to honestly map out or give this venue a definition, context or impact. The reason I say this is because I am reading and watching sources of information that tell me KPFK and Pacifica are hugely successful and real, profoundly meaningful voices in the media chorus. However, when I look at raw data, such as KPFK local rankings as a radio station in Los Angeles, I find it hard to reconcile one truth with another. How can KPFK, which relies on audience outreach like so many other indy media outlets, make its honest claim to fame at the same time as it struggles to shed the image of just another noisemaking number on the radio? I mean, there are simple answers, but for some reason or another I find it hard to like a lot of the self-righteous, pat-myself-on-the-back attitudes that I've come across in indy media. I mean don't get me wrong. I see why its necessary for indy media and it isn't like mainstream media isn't its own best client of its self-attention whoring. I suppose its just a doubt I have in my mind about the truth behind how much progress indy media has made. Perhaps its just the Man whispering fear into my ear. 

Goodnight for tonight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment